Friday, December 13, 2013

Ray's Blog Motivation

Your Art…Your Community:


About a year ago I purchased a ticket to a show at the Colorado Opera.  It was a show that received great reviews and I was looking forward to experiencing one of the many art forms I enjoy.  However, just days before I purchased the ticket I thought to myself, “Should I really spend the money on this ticket when there are people that can use it for their own health and well being?  How can I in good conscience spend this money on the opera when I can do good by donating it to a homeless shelter, or a food bank. ”  It is an interesting question.  How should we spend our hard earned money?  How can we enjoy a dinner at a 4 Star restaurant or a Broadway show when we know we can help others with the money would spend on that ticket?
I am not trying to say we should give up our time and resources to art.  On the other hand, it is important to appreciate art.  We need to go to concerts, dance performances, museums, galleries, as well as participate and create our own art.  It expands our universe.  It is what gives flavor to life.   But while we enjoy and appreciate art, we must not neglect our community as well as expand on what we define as our community.
Community may not be something we consciously think of, but you may be surprised to know that we are all members of different communities.  Do you like the Denver Broncos?  You are part of a community that give high fives to strangers when our Broncos win on Sunday.  Or perhaps you have a favorite watering hole or coffee shop where everybody knows your name, and they might even know your favorite drink.  Do you enjoy dancing or watching Broadway shows?  Yes again, you are a part of that community.  
Our definition of community can be expanded even further where we eventually look outside our own needs, and look to help others.  If you really think about it, the first community we are members of is that of our own family.  Our parents, and siblings.  No family is perfect, but for the most part, families are there for each other.  And like our initial community, we should expand this responsibility to help each other in other communities we are a part of.  Your neighborhood, city, state, country, and yes other countries have differences like their color of skin and last name, but are still members of the community we reside in.  
As I listen to one of my favorite artists, Van Morrison, I ask you…no I challenge you to explore the many beautiful forms of art in your community and to become invested in your community as well.  Go to a concert, but also donate to Food Bank of the Rockies.  Create your own art and dance.  But don’t forget to volunteer at a Food Kitchen.  Discover the sublime music of bossa nova, but also find out more about the tearing down of trees in the Amazon and indigenous tribes that are losing their land.
This blog is just the beginning.  It is beginning of an idea to create positive social change with some thing beautiful.  Art.
As Your Art Your Community continues to blog, we hope that your follow our articles, artists, art, and community endeavors we hope you one day contribute to.



~Ray Ribota

 Follow us on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete